ADVERTISEMENT

Wanted to know a little about your team. I believe you have

Reality Man

All-American Poster
Feb 9, 2002
scored about 55 pts on average the 1st 2 games? Are you a passing offense? Defense any good? Give me a quick breakdown.

I'll give you my .02 cts about UM football.

The team is better than they were last year even with the 31-0 loss to ND. I wouldn't expect that kind of performance in the future unless your qb is Golson type good and UM turns Gardner loose throwing the football.

The good and the bad of UM football.

1. Defense is solid but not great. Half way decent at stopping the run with decent corners. If you have a good qb and wr's then Utah should put plenty of points on the board and that will probably give Utah a good chance at coming away with the W. UM doesn't get a lot of pressure on the qb and I am assuming Utah can protect.

If Utah score 30 plus points then I anticipate a Utah victory.

2. UM is mediocre on offense. Their running game is better and their main running back seems to be improving so unless they control the line of scrimmage then they will struggle. Don't know how good the Utah defense is against a legitimate OL.

The key to beating UM is to get Gardner (qb) throwing the ball with pressure or zone him. UM has plenty of solid wr's but a qb that doesn't like to see pressure and tends to lock in on wr's. He is the old school dual threat qb. Has a lively arm but will turn the ball over. If that happens expect to see the backup who actually looks competent.

Tell me what I should expect from this Utah team.

Reality Man

Ok, I am not an X's and O's guy but my 2 cents back (I have read your posts after the ND game and you are a classy Wolverine fan based upon what I read)

1. Your D summary feels like our D as well. Differences are: our corners and LBs have generated questions. It appears we will be starting a U of Miami transfer at LB for the game and we are expecting great things from Gionni Paul (hurt his foot during spring camp). Our D line should be strong but again Michigan is going to be our first real test versus our first two games. Whittingham will always be a D first coach, secondary will be interesting to watch.

2. Our offense appears to be much improved. In part due to a healthy Travis Wilson, in part due to much added depth at WR and a strong TE replacement in Tonga and also due to our new offensive coordinator, who appears to have simplified the offense as was reported. We strive to be balanced between run and pass. We have two decent RBs who will be tested big time by Michigan's D. We have all noted that your D limited ND to 54 yards rushing, but for turnovers Michigan should have been in that game.

3. Key for Michigan is establishing your running game versus our D line. I watched part of the Miami game and when your O line pounded Miami's D, good things happened. If Utah's D line and backers can contain the Wolverine running game I like our chances.

4. Our O Line will likewise need to give Wilson time to throw, Travis has thrown his fair share of PICs under pressure although so far this year Travis has been much more disciplined about throwing the ball away.

5. Adding, our special teams appear to be, well, special this year. We have a burner in Kaelin Clay that ran a kick off 100 yards for a TD on his first touch and ran a punt back around 46 yards on this second touch. Our punter is a weapon and then some, we will win field position if he stays to form on his punting (long and usually down inside the 10 if not the 5 yard line if that is in his range). Kid is from Australia, think Aussie Rules punting but with accuracy of a pro golfer with a small iron. Our kicker is also much improved. He was accurate last year on FGs but he has been kicking the ball deep into the end zone on kick offs.

Last, we have not been very good on the road since we joined the PAC. It will be interesting to see if we can change that fact pattern. Two time zones is a big trip (SEC never changes time zones, ever?) for our side.

This post was edited on 9/16 6:15 PM by Tube Rider

This post was edited on 9/16 6:23 PM by Tube Rider

Thanks. I think the game will come down to the defenses..

if Utah can contain UM running the ball...I think Utah wins going away.

If UM can stop Utah then they have a good shot. I don't believe UM is going to be able to completely shut down Utah and expect Utah to score around 30 pts. Not quite sure UM can score that many pts and possess the ball but I haven't seen your defense.

I'll take Utah because I don't know what to expect from Gardner.

Reality Man

P.S. Confused why UM is a solid favorite. Can't wait to see your tall qb.

Re: Thanks. I think the game will come down to the defenses..

For us, if we can win the turn over margin, I like our chances. If the Wolverines win that margin, going to be a long day for my Utes.

Big test for our team, I think this ends up just like the last 2 at Michigan Stadium, 3 point or less wins, one for each team.

FWIW I almost came to Michigan to swim. My old coach was the mens coach at UofM.

Good luck this year. You have a solid team. Better team won. Some very good talent and speed.

Reality Man

Your fan base was classy, our visitors gave UM a big thumbs up. Your D is stout, in fact in many ways the Wolverines are very similar to where Utah was last year. Our new O coordinator has improved our production. Now if we could only get our QB to keep his feet on the ground?

Best of luck to the Wolverines as well and let us know if you are making the trip out next year. Our stadium is small by comparison but our fans our loud. Will be exciting to host the Wolverines next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT