ADVERTISEMENT

Utah v. PAC 10 recruiting 2007-2011

Nole N Utah

All-American Poster
Jan 23, 2007
With the Utes moving into the now PAC-12, I thought it might be interesting to look at their past 5 recruiting classes as a prognosticator of how they might fare in the 2011 conference race. I also included Colorado in this review.

Using Rivals final recruiting rankings for each class, the Utes' place in the PAC-12 would have been:

2007: worse than 9th. (the Rivals rankings stop at 50th.
2008: worse than 9th. (see above).
2009: 8
2010: 7
2011: 6

In the first 2 years all of the PAC-12 South teams ended up with higher ranked classes than did Utah. In the last 3 classes only USC and UCLA did. Given equal coaching, the prospects for the Utes look to be poor in 2011-12, and improving each year after that. Thus, based on recruiting alone, a final result of 4th-6th in the South should be anticipated for 2011.

By the way, this does not reflect my personal prediction. I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.

Understand your analysis but we've been a team that recruits diamonds in the rough and then coach them up. I am not as worried on just class ranks.

More worried about depth, yes I am starting to buy into the big boy league argument that we need more depth to deal with injuries week in and week out.

BTW, your alma mater did very well with this class, congrats to FSU.

Thanks tuberider. I agree with your assessments. Whit and company do a grat job of identifying "potential" and then coaching it up. One thing the data shows is that the Utes are probably getting a higher level of talent to coach up...meaning a higher ceiling. The depth issue is very valid. I know many fans of the so-called "mid-majors" (and I am one) deny this factor...but it's a legitimate factor. That's the main reason Ute fans should temper their expectations in 2011. Nonetheless, I won't be surprised if they finish as high as 2nd in the south.

UW fan here...from what I've seen you guys will fit in just fine right from the beginning. Most of the PAC-12 has to deal with depth issues, it's what destroyed UCLA's season and really hurt Oregon State, my Dawgs, and Arizona. So it's not as if we have waves of talent beyond the first string. You guys will be challenged by USC and both Arizona schools, but you're definately not "out of your League". I figure anywhere from winning the South outright or as low as fourth (UCLA is a mess).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT