ADVERTISEMENT

Utah in big games...

Jazzy-Ute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
It feels, since the Sugar Bowl, we just don't have a big-game mentality. This team has failed to show up for so many important games that I wonder if there's something off about how we handle expectations. We've all hinted about it in the past. Whitt seems to relish the underdog role. He's very good at motivating his team when it's us against the world but when there's even a hint of expectation on the program, especially against quality opponents, they have completely disappeared from the spotlight. They get stage fright and fail to show up.

To be honest, the last big game, with extremely high expectations, against a decent opponent, Utah won was the 2008 BYU game. The Sugar Bowl I won't count because everyone wrote the team off. The expectation wasn't set that the Utes had to win ... really, it was lowered to just showing up and giving Alabama a tough game. Credit the job the coaches did getting the players motivated and the schemes perfected. But since that game? The Utes have been an almost no-show on the national stage.

Since the 2008 season has ended, the Utes have played 16 games against ranked opponents, while they also have been ranked.

They've only won four of those games. Two of those four wins came against teams that finished nowhere near the top25 (Cal in 2015 and ASU this year).

Here's the losses::

#16 vs #4 TCU:
#22 vs #18 BYU:
#6 vs #4 TCU:
#20 vs #10 Boise
#18 vs #15 ASU
#20 vs #5 Oregon
#17 vs #15 Arizona
#17 vs #4 Washington
#21 vs #9 Colorado
#17 vs #10 Washington
#17 vs #22 Northwestern
#5 vs #13 Oregon

And the wins:

#19 vs #20 USC
#18 vs #13 Oregon
#5 vs #23 Cal
#13 vs #17 ASU

Now, I wouldn't expect Utah to post a winning record in that span but I also wouldn't expect a team that has been at as consistent of a level as the Utes have been the last decade to only manage to win 25% of those games - some of which weren't very highly ranked opponents.

To me, that's an indictment on Utah's ability in big games. If I see that, and I'm betting on the Utes, I absolutely am betting against them in big games.

I can't believe I'd ever think that because, at one time, I think Whitt had cultivated the image of being a big game coach. But much, if not all of that, was built out of that win over Alabama.

And that doesn't even get into the games where the Utes choked away the division against unranked teams.

I'm glad we're beyond that point, as we haven't stubbed our toes the last two seasons in that regard, but if Utah is ever going to take the next step and actually win the conference, or play in a New Year's Six bowl game, they're going to have to win the ranked vs ranked games by a significantly higher average than 25%.

It also begs the question: why can't Utah win these games? I don't think it's just talent. My opinion on the matter (which I assume won't be popular, and respect that) is that I think the coaches don't know how to handle player expectations. Look, I don't blame the players one bit for getting lost in the glitz of the playoffs and winning the conference. I guarantee you every program that is on the cusp of that level of greatness, has players who get caught up in it. It's only human nature when dealing with raw, young college-aged talent .So, it comes down to the coaches to keep the players grounded so they don't get too lost in it. I think our coaches do a helluva job talking about keeping the eye on the prize and not getting distracted ... but I think it's all talk.

I look at Urban Meyer and how he handled the 2004 season and the raised expectations every week and I gotta think, with his staff, and him at the top, this year, the Utes are heading to the playoffs.

But for whatever reason, Whitt doesn't seem to have the built-in discipline that allows for this program to not get caught up in the whirlwind and I think it has a devastating impact on these big games. It's exactly what separates Utah from the likes of Clemson and other programs who've made the leap.

Just my thoughts. I might be wrong here. I'm sure some think I am. But looking at those numbers and it's hard to trust Utah in the environment that would lead to a special season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News