ADVERTISEMENT

Unbiased Perspective

cignetti4heisman

All-American Poster
Jan 9, 2010
Hello Utah Fans.

I realize below that some people have posted about the Pitt-Utah game. But I really haven't found (at least recently) anything about the actual game, and Utah's chances.

I was wondering if some informed Utes fans can give me an unbiased point of view on what ya'll think is going to happen in the game?

How is the Utah offense/defense? What positions are you strong/weak? Will the elevation affect Pitt players? How will the home game atmosphere affect a rookie QB making his first start?

Thanks.

Well the odds makers put Utah at a 3.5 point favorite but I can only take a mild guess based on that I know Utah but not Pitt.

I would assume that Pitt goes heavy run to ease Pitt's new QB into the system, although I understand they have a pretty good WR.

Utah in the past has been pretty good at stopping the run. That has always been one of their priorities as coaching philosophy at Utah is a priority to stop the run and make them one dimensional.

Last year Utah didn't do that very well and we had a good crop of LB's who severely underachieved and a dinged up Defensive line that contributed to some of our lack of success against teams with good RB's, especially quick outside runs. See games against TCU, Oregon, BYU and Cal.

This year we have had to replace every LB with somebody new. While not as talented they are decent and we have depth at that position. The defensive line is vastly improved and we are super deep.

If Pitt decides to throw we have one shut down corner who will probably shadow your best WR and force your QB to go elsewhere.

On offense we should be much better assuming the receivers are up to snuff. They usually are but we are dealing with some unkowns here. We probably have an all-conference backfield tandem with Wide and Asiata, the QB should be much improved over his true freshman year. The O-line is veteran group minus the one spot filling the OT who was 2nd round draft pick, however, they have put the highest rated O-line JC transfer Cullen in that spot and he seems to be coming along.

So it will be Utah's veteran D-line and unproven LB's vs. Pitt's run game and what should be an explosive Utah offense against Pitt's D.

I would say it's probably going to be something like 21-17 or 28-24, should be pretty close.

To address the altitude and atmosphere.

I've seen where several new players through the years have said it took them some time to get used to the altitude. It was like it was hard to catch their breath once they got breathing hard. Your body has to work harder to get oxygen.

The stadium can be crazy loud at time. Our crowd does a good job of getting behind our D, especially on 3rd downs or anytime the other offense is near the North Endzone (doesn't matter which way they are going). My favorite quote regarding this was in '08 against TCU. Dan Fouts said this after Utah scored to go ahead late, "This is a well built stadium, and this press box is shaking!"

The crowd could make it very hard for a new QB and Center.

Thanks for the info. For some reason I seem to be the "source" among my Pitt friends on football information and they keep asking me about the Utah game and all I could say was "I don't really know anything about Utah except that they smoked us in 2005 (albeit with Urban)"

Certainly one of the biggest concerns for us lies on the shoulders of Tino Sunseri (QB) who will be making his first collegiate start in a hostile environment with a lot of pressure. Our WR's are very talented and we are deep there as well. Jon Baldwin is our premier receiver and will likely be covered by your "shut down" guy. But you will still need a safety over the top to deny him. ANDDD..even then he might get some catches. But besides him, we have another 6'4 guy - Mike Shanahan - who will be getting a lot of balls this year as he serves as a good possession type receiver. After that we have 2-4 guys that can play in the slot and make plays when needed. Most of them are rather speedy which could create match-up problems for the Utes if lined up against LB's.

As far as our running game, we have who many consider is the 2nd best RB in the nation in Dion Lewis. However, like you mentioned, your run defense should be solid and it seems like the game plan would be to make Sunseri beat ya'll instead of Lewis. Most teams will do this. We should see 8-9 guys in the box regularly throughout the season.

So this is where it gets interesting - can Pitt's throwing game provide enough firepower to lead to a win against a tough defense?

On the other side of the ball...

It seems Utah is very explosive on offense and has many play makers in the passing game similar to us. Our defense should be pretty good this year except I worry about our CB's. It seems like for the last 2 years that (well the entire secondary) has been the unit that has prevented us from winning the Big East with losses to Cincy in 2008-09 due to consecutive aerial assault. The two CBs from last year have both graduated so we will be fresh there. One of the starters, Reed, has had a great camp and Wanny has gone on record saying that he has been the most improved player of the offseason. We will have both of our returning starting safeties back. Our LB's will be solid and the D-line is great with maybe the best DE combo in the country.

Should really be a great match-up and I agree that it is going to come down to the passing game for both teams.

I'll be watching from the nation's capital in Pitt Alumni bar wishing hell upon the Utes (for this game only).

Thanks for the info, good luck this year.

Your shut down corner cannot shut down Baldwin alone. If you want to shut him down -- you will have to get to the QB or double him. He is in everyone's top 3 of college WR's. He will make the play even when covered due to his size (6' 5") and speed 4.38.

HTP

HTP,

You are right. Baldwin is a beast. That being said, getting to the QB in situations like this is one of the things at which the Utes excel. I see this game as similar to Alabama. They had Julio Jones and Marc Ingram.

Jones was negated for the most part because he spent a lot of the night running or on his back and our stemming and stunts mixed up their O-lines blocking schemes.

If we can put pressure on your QB and bother your new linemen by our stemming and stunts, then it could be a long night.

On the other hand, if they give Sunseri time and we don't get to your QB and disrupt your line, it could be a long night for Utah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT