ADVERTISEMENT

To Help the November Isssues (courtesy of Derek)

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
Derek posted this in another thread, but after reading it, it's worthy of its own thread. Here you guys go:

One addition I wanted to quickly add regarding the whole "players were burnt out in November" debate.
Whether you believe in it or not, my opinion is that to completely blame it on guys getting tired is a little overreactive. However, Coach Whitt has showed again very quietly I might add that even him being a "blue-collar" hard working coach, is willing to adjust. Most of you might not even be aware of the tweaks that Coach Whit and Coach Elisia made to the offseason program.
In the past the team would generally lift together 3 times a week and run 3 times a week. This offseason the coaches tweaked that. Instead, OL & DL lifted 4 times a week and only ran twice a week. LB, QB & RB went 3 and 3 and WRs and DBs lifted only twice a week and ran 4 times a week.

Talking to some of the guys up there, they loved this change. They told me it helped them focus more on movements that pertained to their position and what their roles on the field were. I believe it just adds more proof that Coach Whit is indeed willing to adjust to what works. He is definitely still a "blue-collar" hard work type of coach but this shows he's well aware of the type of athlete that is coming to Utah now.

The offseason switch up coupled with a training camp that doesn't allow two-a-days anymore (lucky asses), makes me really excited to see how this team plays late in the season.

Again, while I never bought into the whole overworked is THE reason BS, I do think it will only help this team in all parts of the season having the offseason program tweaked.

I hope this little nugget helps put some outrageous assumptions about Coach Whit to rest!

And sorry for my hiatus everyone! I was promoted to a management level position so that has kept my focus, but I couldn't be more excited to be back for football season!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News