ADVERTISEMENT

SoCal Recruiting with Coach White

Anthony White

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2017
As a SoCal High School Football Coach for the last 14 years and 8 as a Head Coach I've had multiple Student-Athletes go D-I.

High School recruiting is a lot different from when I graduated HS in 1999. Rivals.com, Scout.com, 24/7 Sports - All within a clicks distance to see what schools are signing who and to see what certain High School players are ranked.

I haven't even mentioned Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat where I would say the other 33% of the recruiting gets done by Coaches.

33% On Playing Time, Scheme, Geographic Location
33% On Constant Communication (In Person or Apps)
33% On your Team Visibility, Uniforms, NFL Prospects, Facilities
1% On Teenage Decisions

I have made some great relationships with coaches throughout the country that I still talk to - as I talk some time off coaching that complain about all the different avenues coaches have to be a part of in order to recruit a student athlete.

Here are some of the most surprising stories I'd heard from coaches when dealing with recruiting throughout the nation:

"The first day we can send letter to Juniors to their high schools, we send every 4-Star and 5-Star an offer letter in the mail, whether we've spoken with him before or not. If any commit - we automatically take him and then scramble to make sure he's a guy we want... HAHAHA"

"Coach, I'm a 62 year old Football Coach - Do you really think some teenager wants me to retweet and DM him on twitter?!"

"The great players want to be coached, the good players want to be friends."

"Most players like to be recruited - more than they like to play football."

Some scary stuff there.

You know - In another life - or maybe even in the future I would love to try my hand at College Coaching, they say College Coaching is 60% recruiting and 40% coaching. That 60% can depend on some factors that coaches have no control over, such as uniforms, facilities, geographic placement, urban or rural areas of the schools. BUT I have even heard of College Coaches calling up Rivals.com, Scout.com, 24/7 Sports to ask to give a player a better rating or more of a star because it would help their coaching "recruiting" profile or keep them in good graces on staff - because it shows they can bring in some players.

https://www.instagram.com/?hl=en

Tomorrow I will post more on this subject. - What are your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News