ADVERTISEMENT

Rivalries

jsta281

All-American Poster
Aug 10, 2010
A question to those who have lived in the thick of another rivalry not called the Holy War. Do other rivalry fans hate the opposing fans the way BYU hates Utah fans and vice versa? As a kid I group up around the USC/UCLA rivalry and I did not perceive the same measure of hatred between fans. It also seems to me, perhaps naively, that rivalry "hatred" between rivals is directed at the school and less the fans, at least as compared to the Holy War.

I get a sense that the WVU/Pitt rivalry has a similar level hatred directed at each others fan base. I am sure there are others, but are they the exception or the rule?

Having not live in other parts of the county it's hard for me to appreciate If Michigan fans hate OSU fans on the level Utah fans hates BYU fans, or if rivalry hatred is directed at the school more then the fans? Hell, maybe all rivalries at each others fans and the Holy War is "mild" in that regard?

It's hard for me to imagine many rivalries that have the "complexities" that the Holy War has that makes the respective fan bases hate each other?

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News