ADVERTISEMENT

PROSPECT UPDATE: Drue Jackson, WR

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
So I finally got in contact with four-star WR Drue Jackson following his unofficial to Utah last week. I asked him what his expectations were for the trip and what he took away from the visit, and he said that Utah blew him away. He said he didn't really know what to expect, but he thought it was going to be cold (I held in my chuckle). But Salt Lake felt "right at home" to him. He said that the campus and Salt Lake City are beautiful and didn't know how close the campus is to everything, it isn't in the middle of nowhere. He drove up with his mom, who had the same feelings about the scenery and campus.

He said that he enjoyed talking with Troy Taylor and Guy Holliday a lot. They shored up any questions he had about the program, as well as his role in the offense. He asked them if he'd get an opportunity to play early, and they said that nothing is ever guaranteed on the team, but if he had the ability, he could certainly play early because they are always in need of athletes in the system. He also said that he likes to run track, and while Utah doesn't have a track team, it isn't the biggest deterrent for him.

I also asked him about Texas Tech. He participated in a camp there following his Utah visit, and he said he's been to their campus a number of times. The Texas Tech coaches want him to enroll early, but Jackson wants to wait until the February signing period to sign. Overall, he was much more positive about Utah than Texas Tech, especially the scenery and "how great of a fit" the program is.

He also said that he's virtually eliminated Louisville from contention--the coaches haven't prioritized him like Utah, Texas Tech and Houston have. He's still planning on taking official visits to Washington St., Utah, Texas Tech and Houston, then will commit at his Homecoming football game in the fall. As of right now, Utah is standing out the most, just as they had been before his unofficial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.