ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME: Week 2, the gaps grow...

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
We all wanted answers this week, and if you are like me, they are not easy to accept. I hesitate to call anything of which I have seen a pattern; but that may be due to staying optimistic. A win is a win...but we all know our conference is not Weber and NIU level.

Our Defense can do many things well, and so can special teams. In the end, however, it is about closing the deal, right? Huntley had a very nice game through the air, finding our skill player spark, Covey, 8 times. No other receiver had more than 2 catches. It is evident that gap is widening towards a preferred target, but the end zone remains elusive. We did have 4 players with explosive catches, which is one less than last week, but still a positive gap from previous performances, going back to last year.

A huge gap between our run and pass game developed last night. Short yardage seems to continue to stick out, although we did do better on 3rd down, ending closer to 50%...okay, it was 40%, up from 35%. Does optimism allow me to round WAY up?

I mentioned in a podcast this off season the shocking amount of negative yardage that Huntley acquired last year, while rushing. I asked if this is normal for our type of offense. Last night, the gap from positive to negative increased with 19 carries, with an average of -0.5, but a long of 20 (longest on team)? It seems that even if he runs to set up shorter next down situations, it may not be working nearly as much as we plan, but pushes us back. I am starting to think this a predictability issue.

Turnovers....7 in two weeks (not in our favor). However, the D got the one that counted, when it counted the most. I'm sure you all heard the entire valley sigh. I even heard my family who made the trip out there, sigh in relief. Chase is a play maker. He baited the QB to rob that post perfectly, sealing the deal with an athletic catch.

I fear the gap that is growing the most, is the faith in our offensive scheme, or in our coaches desired offensive identity. I learned a long time ago, as a little league running back, not to point fingers at the O-Line. I have experienced however, that if the front is not firing on all pistons, an offensive machine will stall. We have a long road to get where we want this year in the PAC. The more we stall, the larger the gap to keep up with all the other teams, driving towards the same finish line.

Here comes the game we all circled on our mental calendar. We play tough teams well, traditionally, especially at home. We just need to survive the toughest gap of all....the one we fans endure while waiting in between games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News