ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: Washington OL/DL play

Sep 8, 2018
An overall thought first:

We had plenty of opportunities in this game. Defense really helped keep us in the game and it could have been worse. I really was disappointed in the receivers not being able to make a play. When it comes down to it Offensively we have to execute and make plays. So impressed with Covey guy is s competitor Also I felt like Nacau is another good option to get the ball too. Huntley I think just needs to settle down he seems frazzled. Still would like to see us stick with a power running attack through out the game(Moss and other backs).

OL:
The Oline was much improved from the previous week. A lot fewer hits on the Qb and the few sacks we gave up were on a Huntley scramble. I still think are strength up front is the power run game like a said still would like to see us be patient with that.Thought Ford #55 looked a little out of place early but handled switch to tackle very well as game went on.

DL:
Overall DLine played well and contributed to several big plays that helped keep us in the game. Wish Tonga could have finished that pick 6. Our D tackles are very good and what they do doesn’t always show up in the stat book but I think the play of our LBs speaks for that. I thought the blitz game was executed very well and the D line did a great job getting to their spots on those pressures. We did give up some yards rushing but on 41 attempts and mostly on the perimeter. I felt bad for Leki on the hit on the QB I can maybe see the penalty still don’t agree with the ejection.

The few negatives I saw on the D line was our inability to get pressure with the front four and having to rely on the blitz.(although we were successful for the most part there were a few plays Washington took advantage of.)Also in some of the play action boot game I thought are D ends were a little late reacting to boot and kept some drives alive for Washington.

The OL/DL was probably one of the most positive things from the game last night hopefully we can continue to improve there and overall we have a lot to work on during the bye week

Go Utes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News