ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: Less questions, or replaced with new ones?

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
Alright, I first have to admit that I was wrong about some things. That's okay, I've learned the power of admitting misconceptions and interpretations. It leads to growth. I will also admit I like definitive answers, when it comes to the Utes. Even after a winning while showcasing the traits I hungered to see: being well conditioned, D-Line solidness, fantastic pass defense (187y 14-31comp), Huge rushing night, and some showcasing of Carrington and Blackmon.....
I'm seeing areas I feel need "more work than others".

We have some great players on the field, in fact, I enjoyed the contribution of everyone on the field, and look forward see the fruit of their in-week labors.(Although some may not enjoy their first game film session)

That being said.....Discipline!!! That first quarter was a nightmare to watch unfold. The flags were flying, as I'm sure you remember, and it was gut wrenching. Killing our own momentum is not something I like feeling we do well. Our third down conversions were not good, either (6-14). Can we chalk it up to first game jitters? Okay...for now. I will say that at one point, some of us in section 34, came to the conclusion that we may get every flag in the game possible. We laughed....but it still hurt.

I also want to see turnover domination. I've always felt that winning the turnover battle is a direct reflection of a teams discipline on offense, and hunger on defense.

Carrington had a night of note, but what happens when teams can defend him with less help? Its of not fault of his, I just feel a lot of our air success came due to ND's conditioning level. Moment of note was when they call their last time out in the second half.

WR's are going to have a long practice week of blocking. Well, thats what I would pitch for the practice agenda. Silver lining though, as the DB's will get some more work on that as well, which didn't seem to tough for them to handle tonight. The looked solid on the run, Hansen played healthy, and Blackmon gets a pick.

NOW...I can guarantee that when they left the locker room tonight, every single Ute was reminded of who is right around the schedule corner. With two extra days of preparation, against a team that every fan, player, and staff feel the need to destroy, my blood is naturally rising already as The Holy War is back!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News