ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: Did the Huskies put us in the doghouse, or was it ourselves?

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
Hats off to the Huskies. Peterson stated earlier in the week that they knew what they were coming into...a hostile environment, more so than Auburn.

They are polished. How so? They did not really put themselves into bad situations, with mental errors. It is one thing to beat a great team, and a totally different thing to beat oneself.

Minus their intentional groundings, or attempts to ground, their hustle out shined, and elevated, their talent. Our defense, seems to carry this torch consistently, and so do other position groups. But when it all adds up...we seemed to come up short. That was the sting, kick in the gut, or disgust we all had to stomach at some point last night.

I turned to my friend, and said "If we do not get 7 from this, is it a direct reflection of our offensive culture?" 4 plays later, he sadly agreed.

Stats wise, third down kept the improving trend going. Almost 50%, and explosive play wise, we held them to minimal (3), while producing one of our own (okay, Moss has one more yard, and it's 2). But it is not stats that are on our mind today. Its culture, intensity, production, results, and possibly the low spiral kicks of their punter (okay, probably not).

And targeting....but that is a long term debate. Hansen mentioned on the radio post game that "those moments kill momentum, which is crucial" and ever present, in football.

Am I pointing specifically at someone to blame? No! Won't! As I mentioned last week, there is no "silver bullet" that I believe can fix what is going on. I will ask a question though. Do we need an (other) offensive leader? Someone who can truly get everyone to eat nails, and go to war.

The Bye week timing is a blessing, and knowing Whitt, it will be well utilized.

I read a great article last week, stating that teams have those low weeks, or game, when they dont perform, and that NIU was possibly just that. Now, I will agree that some position groups did move forward, and yet the results were still not very appetizing.

GO UTES!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News