ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: Coach White's #10

Anthony White

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2017
Some things I loved... Some have me worried...

Loved:

1. The Short yardage Calls... It started in the first quarter, 8 mins left. we were faced with a 3rd and short. We called the same fly option play - BUT instead of handing off the fly going East and West - Huntley kept it! He broke outside for a 30 yard run !!! Was a great call, play and decision... Now it was called back for holding - But thats another story!

giphy.gif

2. Loved our defense! man we can stop the run, play the pass and I'm anxious to see what we can do against Pac-12 offenses! I love the enthusiasm by the defense and their coaches!

3. Does anyone play better Special Teams? You would think, the team that plays the best Special Team are usually smart, well disciplined, low penalty teams. Well...... We are still working some of those things out - you can't deny Utah has been the staple for Special Teams play for over a decade.

4. Fitts - Man, what could have been if he played last year! I know he took the hard hit on the WR crack-back but he is incredible!

5. Huntley keeps proving us right and making thr Utah coaches look better and better each week!

giphy.gif

Worried:

1. Can someone please tell Carrington to PUT THE BALL AWAY! I've seen it multiple times he carries the ball carelessly at times by the sidelines, I'm going to say it here and now - it may cost us BIG TIME in a game coming up!

2. Penalties - We are getting better - BUT as we improve our competition and get into League Play, every yard will count - we can't continue to give them away!

3. The Snaps. I like how they addressed it - but a few more weeks of practice and this will be a non-issue, I'm hoping! haha

4. Not that big of a deal - YET, but Huntley was our leading rusher in yards and rushing attempts... Maybe something to keep an eye on - Williams needs to stay ready...

5. Which brings me to my to my last rant...

While the game was winding down - I love to see the coaches put the 2nd stringers in and allow seniors to play that wouldn't have the chance otherwise. Now - this was the opportunity for Williams to get some much needed reps. What I saw was the "Too Cool" attitude. Not carrying out his fakes, hands in a warmer, just handing it off, smiling like it's not too important. We got a glimpse of just how much Huntley has passed him by athletically - but MAN you're a senior! You know your number will most likely get called this year - We know it's a little embarrassing to come in late in the 4th as a back-up senior. But you said yourself- you would be ready and willing when called upon. Last night I saw you follow through on 3 of your fakes - needless to say those were the biggest runs for Henry-Cole. As a Captain - show everyone what we saw EARLY last year - not what we saw late. Take your hands out of the warmer and pick up the tempo! We're gonna need you!

One more random thought: Can Huntley wear some wristbands or maybe even some tape on his wrists, elbows, forearms anything? - looks like a created NCAA player who just wanted to start the game.

23426675-mmmain.jpg

One more quick thought: Josh Love, the 3rd QB to come in for San Jose State was a graduate of Long Beach Poly - His freshmen year he attended Orange Lutheran HS in Orange County, only to go to Tesero HS, then that coach was fired, I thought I had a great change at Buena Park for him to transfer to us as we has some special players coming back and just needed a QB - He choose to attend LB Poly - thinking the 'name' and throwing to those athletes would attract more scouts. Even though he did great his senior year, He had not D-I offers coming out of HS- in a year where we at Buena Park signed 4 D-I athletes. He ended up walking on at San Jose State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News