ADVERTISEMENT

Myth vs. Reality

medute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2012
If you are anything like me, you digested all of the pre-season scoops with gluttonous glee. I was all-in man. This was our year. 10 wins, South Champs, studs all over the field.

Sadly, this isn't the case. Part of the reaction you see here and on 247 and on Twitter and from your friends and family is simply due to bad play. But it's also due to a mismatch of expectations and reality. So I thought I would write down some myths and realities as I see them. Feel free to contribute your own as well.

Myth: Our offense is going to be much better in year 2 with Troy Taylor.
Reality: Whether it's scheme, player development, matchups, execution, or something else entirely, this is more of the same when it comes to Utah football. That was hard to watch.

Myth: Our WR were the standouts of spring and fall camps and they are going to be a strength of the team.
Reality: WRs (outside Covey) have been incredibly disappointing. So many dropped balls and we haven't seen much playmaking after the catch (besides Covey)

Myth: This team is mentally locked in and laser focused
Reality: Second straight game with a FG blocked, second straight game with a botched punt return, 6 turnovers in 2 games against Weber and NIU, 4-5 penalties by the same lineman, 11/29 on 3rd down, and 2 sluggish starts. This team has been the opposite of focused.

Myth: Our O-line is going to be much better with 4 returning starters, 2nd year in system, and Coach Harding coaching them up
Reality: You saw the game. You saw the lack of protection that contributed to 6 sacks. You saw the lack of holes for the running game. You saw the penalties. I watched a bunch of football Saturday and I can tell you that we had one of the worst O-lines I saw. This has been rehashed in another thread and I am not sure who is to blame. But it certainly wasn't good.

I don't think I am going to buy into any more pre-season hype. It's just too painful when you see reality. Wish I could be more optimistic. I could go on, but I'd rather read what others have to say. What are your myths and realities in 2 games thus far?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News