ADVERTISEMENT

My Q&A for the Washington site

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
Hey guys, they haven't posted this yet, a heads-up, this is my raw version that I asked Lars to edit before he'd post:

Utah has a strong defense front to back, but not a lot of statistics to back up their talent through the first two games. Who will provide the sacks and picks for the Utes on Saturday (or who should be expected to)?

Utah disguises their defense with a lot of stunts and blitzes, so pressure can come from anywhere at any time. The reason for the lack of stats is because the defense hasn’t really had to show too much, as the preference is to unleash starting this Saturday for Pac-12 play. Defensive ends Bradlee Anae and Mika Tafua are two to watch, but the huskies will also have to account for the versatility of linebacker ,Chase Hansen, and strong safety, Marquise Blair.

As for the lack of interceptions—Hansen has the only one—both Weber State and Northern Illinois more often than not went for the safe throws. Guys like Julian Blackmon, Jaylon Johnson, and Javelin Guidry are eagerly waiting for Saturday, as they know that they’ll finally be tested. When all is said and done, their secondary should be one of the better ones, in college football.

Tyler Huntley has only gained 61 yards on the ground this season but he's still known as a solid dual-threat quarterback. What should Husky fans expect from the Utes offensively against a strong but potentially vulnerable UW defense?

You mention “vulnerable,” and the first thing that comes to my mind is Utah’s offensive line—they just can’t gel in offensive coordinator Troy Taylor’s zone read offense. Therefore, those guys are part of Huntley’s problem. The other issue currently for the offense is that a deep wide receiver unit is struggling, aside from the dangerous Britain Covey. The thing there though, is that the group is deep, so there are starters that need to start stepping up because the Utes have freshmen that are pushing for more reps. One of those freshmen is, Jaylen Dixon.

As for Huntley having only 61 rushing yards, again, the line has been bad—especially against Northern Illinois. However, the low totals have more to do with feeding the beast, Zack Moss. The bruising junior ran for over 1,173 yards, but was severely underutilized because Huntley kept the ball more in the RPO. More carries for Moss has since been an emphasis, and the Utes have also tried to get Huntley to pick his spots, in order to take less of a pounding.

Like the defense, the offense has also kept things simple in the first two games, so their game plan should look more complex on Saturday than the film shows.

Utah has a couple wide receivers that could test the Huskies secondary, who are the main focal points outside for Utah that could pose a threat?

At the two outside slots, Utah has Siaosi Mariner (WR - X) and Demari Simpkins (WR - Z). Coming into the season, a lot was expected from both. Mariner is a legit deep threat—and his battle against Blackmon (All-American candidate) in fall camp was always the battle to watch. Last week was a game to forget for him, but he put up 73 yards in the opener. As for Simpkins, the arrival of Covey—back from his LDS mission—forced him to the outside, where it seems like he’s still getting comfortable. When that spot finally clicks for him, it’ll be a sigh of relief to the team and the fan base—he has probably the best hands on the team, but all of the sudden he’s had too many drops. Behind them, are two talented freshmen, Solomon Enis and Bronson Boyd. As I mentioned above, the young guys at the position are starting to show that they deserve some more opportunities, so it would be no surprise to see one of those two have a solid showing against the Huskies.

How should UW attack the Utes defensively?

Until Utah’s offensive line proves otherwise, bring the pressure with the front seven and don’t let up. If you don’t do that, the line will have time to set and Moss will gash you or Covey will undoubtably find a crease over the middle. Taylor’s offense is designed to get the ball out as fast as possible—although I have yet to see that during his two years calling plays, so disrupting their rhythm is highly important—and NIU, with Sutton Smith, was extremely impressive at it.

How should UW attack the Utes offensively?

That’s a great question that, at the moment, I can’t give a definitive answer to. This group is so stacked, yet not as tested in 2018. In the past, they’ve been exploited on the edges. Even at that, that area has been greatly improved. Against an offense like Washington, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Utah take a “bend but don’t break” approach for much of the game, so the emphasis should be on Browning to take what the defense gives him and eventually hope that a big play could break Washington’s way.

Honestly, when I say this, I’m not saying that Utah’s defense has no weaknesses. This unit just has the makings of a special unit, but has yet to have a true test. After Saturday, I’d be able to provide a more specific answer.

Prediction?

This one is tough, I get that Washington is ranked no. 10, but I see so many similarities between the strengths of each team and the struggles. When Washington barely pulled off the win last year, they did so against a depleted Utah secondary that was giving crucial reps to a longtime receiver. Add in the fact that the Utah defense has fixed their holes—they really are that damn good—and the fact that Utah is at home, I’m picking Utah in a close one.

Utah 30, Washington 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News