ADVERTISEMENT

Local Denver news station puts us both in PAC12 south

i can't believe there is a situation where the LA and No Cal schools would agree to be in different divisions. over a 100 years of tradition here.

The scheduling could be as such the the No Cal and the So Cal teams agree to play each other annually.

At the end of the day, any team in any division is going to want to win their conference.

If SC is #1, is Cal going to be pissed they don't play them?

but why agree to play eachother annually and be in diffent divisions? by that theory those in the other division would almost never play sc/ucla which would piss off them since those are good crowds. and yes cal is going to be pissed because they sell 10K tickets annually to the fans of LA teams for the game.

The road trips from SoCal to Utah via Las Vegas are going to be fun!
This post was edited on 6/15 11:43 AM by SoCalRevs

Originally posted by Buff Predictor:
the PAC 12 south's composition:
CU
ASU
AU
UCLA
USC
UTAH

The PAC 12 north by default:

Cal
OSU
OU
Stan
UW
WSU

The ASU fans will love you already with the AU post!

cross-division games

The ACC is set up so that each team plays 8 conference games thusly:

1. the other 5 teams in your division (3 home, 2 away one year; 2 home, 3 away the next year)

2. one "rival" in the opposite division that you play every year (BC-VaTech; Maryland-Virginia; Florida State-Miami; NC State-UNC; Wake Forest-Duke; Clemson-GaTech). This game is home or away depending on how your in-division games are set up for that year (because you have either 2 or 3 home games in your division)

3. 2 games (one home and one away) against a rotation of the 5 other teams from the opposite division.

For example, BC just joined the ACC in 2005 and is already playing Virginia for the 3rd time. Virgina played at BC in 2005. BC played at Virginia in 2009. Virginia plays at BC in 2010. Then I think BC will play at Virginia again in 2013 and will host the Cavs in 2014. On the other hand, BC has played VaTech 7 times since joining including ACC Championship games.

You would probably set up something similar in the Pac 12. Now I know the Pac 10 had 9 conference games, so you could set up something similar with the cross-division "rivals" where you could have 2 teams in the opposite division that you play every year and then play a rotation of the 4 remaining opposite-division teams.
This post was edited on 6/15 2:59 PM by Wisdom's Earthly Fane

Originally posted by Sun Devil Scott:
CU
ASU
AU
UCLA
USC
UTAH

Cal
OSU
OU
Stan
UW
WSU

Yeah, I already got some from a friend who is an Arizona alum. It kind of tempts me to continue....

Originally posted by Sun Devil Scott:
CU
ASU
AU
UCLA
USC
UTAH

Cal
OSU
OU
Stan
UW
WSU

Yeah, I already got some from a friend who is an Arizona alum. It kind of tempts me to continue....

Jump on in the water is great!

Looking forward to that Road Trip to Salt Lake City via Las Vegas. I'll be in Vegas starting tommorow getting ready for Game 7 of the NBA Finals. GO LAKERS!!!

As a So Cal native and Ute, a word of advice, most of the SLC fans are Jazz people. That said let's show up big one more time in game 7!

can't wait to see asu as the whipping boy of the pac 12 south. and its ua, not au!

believe me utah and colorado fans, you'll learn to hate asu verryyyy quickly.

After watching (and as close to PRAYING as I ever get) the inclusion of Utah into the 12 Pac. I am of the understanding that the northern schools (Bay Area, Oregon, Washington) would rather die than give up their trips to the recruiting heaven that is Southern California.

I still envision the zipper as the division alignment. Then you play at least one SoCal team every year and both almost every other year.

Originally posted by trojan bill:
Looking forward to that Road Trip to Salt Lake City via Las Vegas. I'll be in Vegas starting tommorow getting ready for Game 7 of the NBA Finals. GO LAKERS!!!
Nice! We will be able to stop in Vegas to place our bets and collect them on the way back!
tongue.gif

Hey Buff Predictor - do what you want but you look like a complete tool by using AU instead of UA. Auburn is in the SEC - Arizona is and has been in the Pac since '78.

Since you just joined the conference you might want to act like you know whats going on.

here comes the smack! would it be similar to calling CU, UC?

Originally posted by UtahStu:
here comes the smack! would it be similar to calling CU, UC?

CSU fans delight in calling us uOfc boulder. They think it bugs us. Yeah, they've won a few games against us recently due to our recent fade, but they are still like gnats to us.

Not talking smack - my point is you would think that if you just joined a new conference that you might want to have your information correct before you post something inaccurate and come of looking like an idiot. Maybe that's just me.

Look, every school has nicknames for their rivals and they are widely known so it's not a big deal that assu fan says AU nd UA fan calls asu assu.

Buff Predictor did it out of ignorance which brings me back to my original post on the subject.

Originally posted by droski:
i can't believe there is a situation where the LA and No Cal schools would agree to be in different divisions. over a 100 years of tradition here.

The other 8 schools will demand a split like this. LA and San Fran are huge alumni bases for everyone in the Pac 12 (Utah and Colorado included). Everyone will demand to be in Cali at LEAST once a year. For recruiting alone, this will have to be done.

Smack, smack and more smack. he he. I love it. Welcome Utah to the Pac 12. Let us show some good all rocky mountain love to the Pac schools

Welcome again guys...As much as Cal & Stanford hate USC and UCLA, they aren't giving up those games annually. The No Cal schools will really bitch about not coming to So Cal on an annual basis. So there presents your dilemma. Everyone has the same desire, but how do you make everyone accomodated.

The way I see it, the best solution is to probably play the 8 game league schedule, with a zipper format. Split rivals up, and make sure they will still be playing EVERY single year. Then protect 1 more "rival" in the opposite division, the final 2 games would rotate. Here is one way to do this. Forget what the sam heck the divisions are called, that is semantics.

Zipper concept #1

Div 1
USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon St, ASU, Colorado

Div 2
UCLA, Cal, Wazzu, Oregon, UofA, Utah

Primary Rivalries exempted from the opposite division

USC=UCLA
CU=UTAH
UW=Wazzu
Oregon=OSU
ASU-UofA
Cal=Stanford

Other rivalry protected from the opposite division
USC=Cal
UW=Oregon
UCLA=Stanford
Wazzu=Oregon St
UTAH=ASU
CU=UofA

Is this perfect? Nope, but it affords everyone to keep their rivalry games intact, and preserves some pretty important secondary rivalries in
1)USC vs. Cal 2)Stanford vs. UCLA and 3)UW vs. Oregon.

The way I configured the leagues too is pretty balanced, so neither division is really "stacked".

So bottom line in Utah's case.

Division Games:
UCLA, Cal, Wazzu, Oregon, UofA

Protected rivals
Colorado, and ASU

Rotated games (1 team added in each 4 year cycle)
*Washington, Stanford, USC, Oregon St

Now I get the objection immediately, you'd be playing USC only once every 4 years. Thing is, though Utah would be in California EVERY YEAR. Either @ Cal & or @UCLA. Hitting both No Cal & So Cal with 2 games total PER SEASON. Utah would have 6 CALIFORNIA games every 4 year cycle. So would all other NON California schools if I am not mistaken. Versus if the California schools are coupled with the 2 new entrants having Oregon seeing even less of California. Least amount of change to existing rivalries, plus Utah renews annual rivalries with old conference foes ASU/UofA this way. They get NO BETTER/NO WORSE exposure to California than Oregon, OSU, UW, WAZZU, ASU, or UofA. Everyone wants that Cali exposure.

This also could change in 3-5 years anyways if the Big XII still implodes down the road.

TBill

Using the 'zipper' you were solid until you went to the secondary rivalry stuff. You will lose 'The weekender'. Cute move to make sure USC plays ALL 4 Cal schools every year, but that is it's weakness. ITHERS will see it as well. Nice try though.

If you are going to do the zipper you play your 5 in zip games, your crossover and then 2 others (rotating every year)

Or stay with divisions and put your natural rival WITH you and play exactly HALF of the other division every year and rotate (so everyone would play USC every 2 years and have an away game at either the Colliseum or the Rose Bowl every 2 years)

Welcome again guys...As much as Cal & Stanford hate USC and UCLA, they aren't giving up those games annually.

Well, they're going to have to. And I lived in SoCal for 8 years, so I know about NoCal-SoCal, and USC-Cal, UCLA-Stanford, etc., are not glamour games by any stretch. The only intersectional rivalry that has any substance to it in the Pac-10/12 is Oregon-Washington.

The zipper format sucks, and recruiting in California will not get so out of hand to tilt the entire balance of power to the South, like it has with the Big 12 and Texas recruiting. And don't even start with the idea of a 9-game conference schedule, either ...

Originally posted by SoCalPat:
Welcome again guys...As much as Cal & Stanford hate USC and UCLA, they aren't giving up those games annually.

Well, they're going to have to. And I lived in SoCal for 8 years, so I know about NoCal-SoCal, and USC-Cal, UCLA-Stanford, etc., are not glamour games by any stretch. The only intersectional rivalry that has any substance to it in the Pac-10/12 is Oregon-Washington.

The zipper format sucks, and recruiting in California will not get so out of hand to tilt the entire balance of power to the South, like it has with the Big 12 and Texas recruiting. And don't even start with the idea of a 9-game conference schedule, either ...

Umm, the Oregon-Washington rivalry doesn't really rate here in SoCal. Also, UW-UO isn't an intersectional rivalry. It's a conference game. When you play someone out of your conference then it becomes an intersectional game.

Pat, all due respect you may have lived in Cali, but you weren't paying too close attention. USC's games with Stanford & Cal, and UCLA's are VERY important to those schools.

Not saying the zipper format I put up is flawless, but Stanford & Cal aren't going to rejoice losing those games on an annual basis.

You also probably never saw a USC-Cal Game. These two schools don't care for each other too much. In some ways, there is more hostility in that game than USC & UCLA. And I've probably seen a combined 40-50 of those games between USC-CAl & USC-UCLA. The fan behavior on both sides is a bit different when the Trojans play the Bears. NOT a very friendly rivalry, and Cal won't rejoice seeing it go away as an annual event.

Trust me on that one.

They'll be PISSED if it happens.

I don't care how the divisions fall. I just don't want to wait another year to get into PAC play. 2010 is gonna suck. The anticipation just might actually kill me...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT