ADVERTISEMENT

Last Weber thoughts, then I will move on....

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
Hello everyone,

Hope you have been well. I haven't posted regarding Weber State, and I can see most of you have the same thoughts as I have. Defense was solid, offense showed grit, and got going, and we love to see Covey back.
Lost of great things happened on Thursday of last week, but I cannot shake the same concerns I had from last year. Granted, its early, and maybe we did play to our opponents level at times. Yet, if we are going to play championship quality football, two things need to be addressed, and quickly.

1. 3rd down efficiency. 5-14? Arrrgghhh! Weber was 1-15, but we still converted around 33%. Not good if you want to play in December.

2. Turnovers. We lost this battle, and gave momentum away. Cant do this, obviously. We need to take the ball away more. No picks was a surprise, but then again, we played a crazy D alignment, initially with the S being 15 deep, to counter their option tendencies. This may have led to a completely different scheme, for the D. We had zero...yes, I said zero, QB hurries, a couple of sacks, and a few PBU's.

The bright side is we killed the explosive plays comparison, but against this opponent, I would expect so. Moss is a beast, and the O-Line will be tested shortly.

Finally....I HATE THE FAIR CATCH RULE ON KICKOFFS! We may be witnessing the final days of kickoff coverage. I will reserve final judgment, but so far....I hate it after one week (weak?) display of special teams in that category. I understand the why....but.....

Have a good Wed. and GO UTES!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News