ADVERTISEMENT

Grading out Tyler Huntley

medute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2012
I don't think the box score really tells the story, especially against an FCS team (and yes, I know they are a well-coached, quality FCS team).

The good:
- He officially accounted for only 7 rushes - this is right in the range of 5-8 rushes/game which I think keeps defenses guessing but also preserves his health
- I thought his reads were solid throughout the game. He didn't throw into coverage. I'd have to see different film to be able to tell whether he missed wide open guys but it didn't seem like it.
- He gets the ball out quickly once he makes a decision
- He has the ability to fit the ball into tight spots with plus velocity

The bad:
- He ran for 1 yard total and his rushing was generally ineffective
- With his short to medium throws, he seems to always rocket the ball and doesn't have the ability to change his velocity based on the play type. That results in more drops because it's a lot harder to catch those bullets on the short crossing routes
- His deep balls are simply not accurate. The INT that was nullified because of PI probably would have been an INT without the PI. Not a good throw.
- The interception where he was bumped from the left as he threw was absolutely his fault. You have to feel the pressure, shuffle to the right, and deliver that throw. That kind of play could be very costly.

I am just being honest, but overall, I was a bit disappointed. I think we need the A version of Tyler Huntley to win double digit games and that's not what we saw last night. There are things you can learn from and get better at, but I wonder how much in-season improvement he can make in terms of touch, deep ball accuracy, and pocket footwork. But I was encouraged to see him make the right reads and I think we have some real weapons out there, headlined by Covey and Moss.

Perhaps this is an overreaction, but this is my view. Am I being too harsh? What did you guys think?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News