ADVERTISEMENT

Five Points- Defense 8/8/18

Andrew Fronce

All-American Poster
Jan 6, 2016
Hey all. The offense and defense looked pretty balanced today, a good sign for both sides. Defensively, though there's still work to be done, I love a lot of what I'm seeing from pretty much every position group. Here are my five points.

1. Nygel King was getting more meaningful reps today than he has over the past few practices, and had a pretty good day of practice. His highlight of the day came on an interception of a Jack Tuttle pass, where he jumped an out route by Solomon Enis.
  2. All six defensive tackles looked good today, from Leki Fotu to the freshmen. All of them were collapsing running lanes and making life hard for the backs. The level that Maile and Cravens are playing at so early on is impressive, and Gary Andersen had good things to say about all of them after practice.
  3. Julian Blackmon vs Siaosi Mariner is consistently one of the most entertaining battles of camp. Mariner got the better of Julian a few times today, but that doesn't mean that Blackmon is performing poorly, it just means that Mariner has made a lot of improvement.
  4. Philip Afia made his presence known today, too, snagging an interception off a Shelley jump ball. The play was negated due to offsides, but it was a great read and play by Afia to high point the ball and come down with it.
  5. Tareke Lewis and Javelin Guidry both had impressive plays blitzing off the edge today, and both would have gotten sacks had the team been live. They're going to be dangerous both in that aspect and in coverage this year.
EDIT: As always, fire away with any questions you may have in the thread, and I'll be more than happy to answer them!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.