ADVERTISEMENT

FALL CAMP UPDATE: Five Points Defense

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Fall camp is back, y'all. I can't comment on any schemes I saw, but the defense is as good as ever. I think there's an abundance of size and speed that'll make this one of the better Pac-12 defenses this season.

1. The defensive line is stout, but the QB's were getting the ball out of their hands so fast it was hard for them to pressure the throw. With that said, Fotu and Lowell needed to be double teamed more than once. They are the two most powerful linemen I've ever seen.
  2. Along with those two shining, Nick Ford is an absolute beast. He's 6-5 and has to be close to 300 (listed at 280). He eats up blockers and opens up the lane for the linebackers to make a tackle. He's got a bit of talent ahead of him, but he came to camp ready. He's powerful and quick and has a ton of length.
  3. Marquise Blair played a lot today with the 1s and 2s and is faster than I expected. He's great in coverage and has good closing speed, but he is also instinctive enough to know where the play is going and to make a play on the ball. He'll be incredibly fun to watch this season.
  4. Jaylon Johnson, my goodness. He's only 18, yet he's the most physically imposing corner on the roster by far. He stayed well after practice to work with Shah and work on technique and he locked down his assignments more often than not. Still has to work on not gambling on plays, but that's probably the only knock on him. He's good, folks.
  5. Julian Blackmon is a stud, like we've been hearing. He's one of the more vocal corners, even as a true sophomore, and he had two PBU's and a near interception. He has excellent technique and forces his assignments away from the play without penalizing, which is what you want from your corners
All in all, the defense looked really good. Kavika and Sunia probably had the best days at LB, Ballard has great instincts and has the size to go up and break up plays, and the corners played really solid as well. Carrington beat the CB's more than once, but other than that, their man coverage was a lot better than I anticipated day 1 of fall camp.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News