ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Whittingham Presser highlights

JosephSilverzweig

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2016
- When asked if he'd seen Francis Bernard "I didn't. You may have."
- They've had zero live work by design, and Whit doesn't feel like he can draw a lot of conclusions about the team and players they don't know much about until they start seeing the game live. He hit this theme several times throughout the interview- he likes what he sees, but until the pads come on there's not much to say.
- Tight ends will have a role as big as their ability to make plays, and whether TEs or slot receivers make on the field will depend on their production, both as receivers and in other duties as well. Upshot seemed to be that even if a tight end wasn't making a lot of plays in the passing game they could earn a spot by being effective in protection and run blocking.
- On Demari Simpkins (who made an outstanding acrobatic catch for a 12 yard TD today, my video of which is below) "All he does is make plays." "Does exactly what you ask of him." "An absolute coach's dream." "He does everything he's asked to do and has made himself into a great player." Cited Simpkins and Covey as the leaders of the team, setting the work ethic example for the rest of the unit.
- On Jaylon Johnson's development, Whit said it was more about a lingering injury from high school that's completely healthy, and that he's grown in confidence and development now feeling completely healthy.
- Nick Ford is the one who wanted to make the move to OL and came to the coaches with the idea, not the other way around (he was heavily recruited by most teams at OL, and the Utes promised to give him a real shot at DL first, where he wanted to play).
- Zack Moss is a very good receiver, although Whit stopped short of comparing him to Devontae Booker, who he called 'the best running back receiver I've ever seen in my life'.
- Asked about freshman who might see some time, he said 4-6-8 guys might 'help us out' but while they had some good ideas, Whit wasn't ready to say who was standing out until the lights and pads came on and the hits got going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.