ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thoughts So Far

rossqo

Senior Poster
Jan 16, 2013
Draper, Utah
The season is just under way, and it is still soooo early it is hard to really judge much. That being said, with some real competition under our belt things have become pretty obvious, at least to me, where are weaknesses are this season. My observations as a whole are this. Poeltl has taken the next step. His development reminds me a lot of Andrew Bogut when he came back for another year. Poeltl is no longer a big man with potential. He is a legit NBA prospect that can contribute to whatever team he gets drafted by. I have been most pleased with his play from last season to this season. His all around game is better. Post moves are better, rebounding is better, hustle is better, he runs the floor better, his FREE THROWS are so much better. We inbounded to him with no hesitation on Sunday when we knew we were going to get fouled right away. His play has been outstanding.

Maybe his play has progressed so much that my next observation is being exploited, but when Poeltl is not in the game, we struggle. BIG TIME. If the opposing team has a semi talented big man this is where we get destroyed. We have no depth with our bigs. Reyes plays like a center but is 6'7" and just can't hang with bigger guys. Chapman and Kuzma have a little more height but are just too thin. They both need more muscle. Especially Chapman. Champan should be playing the three in this league. Not the 4 and definitely not filling in at the 5. We are going to have to find a solution here because Miami dominated us when Poeltl was out. And then again when he was in the game with foul trouble. I did like how well Poeltl was able to comprehend his importance of being on the floor. You could tell he knew he had to stay out there and stayed away from the potential of any stupid fouls, which he couldn't do last season.

We live and die by the outside shot. Taylor is finally finding his stroke again. Bonam hasn't proven he can have a reliable shot yet. Dakarai can't hit the broad side of the barn. He is 2-15 on the season. Chapman's shot actually looks worse than Dakarai. Wright just doesn't shoot he is slightly better than Dakarai at 3-15. Kuzma has arguably been the next best reliable shot behind Loveridge and thank heavens Loveridge has been on fire. Loveridge actually has been the next best behind Poeltl for me. He has been great. Solid D, beast on the rebounding end (he had 8 in the first half against Temple I believe) and his shot has been something else.

All and all I like this team's athletic ability but am scared by our hot and cold tendencies. When we are hot, we can hang with anyone. When we are cold, SUU can keep the game close.

Just for fun, Here is a quick player by player observation

Poeltel: Absolute Beast.
Loveridge: Easily the biggest overachiever so far.
Taylor: The epitome of hot and cold.
Tucker: *crickets*
Bonam: Best newcomer and flashes of greatness.
Kuzma: Most improved, he really has become and integral part of Utah's game.
Chapman: Love the effort night in and night out, just seems to lack the talent at this point.
Reyes: Also love the effort, just lacks ideal size and athleticism.
Wright: He can pass the ball well?
Montgomery: Just too skinny, too small, too young and too inexperienced.
Bealer: Great length but he looks so lost on the floor.
Miller: Seems like a nice enough guy.
Ogbe: Finally played over the weekend. We need him to stay healthy.
Mawien: He looks like he could develop into a good player, just to inexperienced right now.
Eastmon: I swear this guy has been on the team for like 6 years. In fact, on the program he isn't even listed as a senior anymore. Instead they show him as a "Gr" which I assume stands for Graduate. How long can this guy play??
Connor: The walk on that deep down thinks he really is good enough to start.

Was that long enough for you guys?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News