ADVERTISEMENT

An initial DL coach list to be followed by an article...

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
Like I mentioned last night, this a unique position to fill for Utah. Here are some names for discussion sake and I'll put an article out later...

First tier--
Jason Kaufusi: I believe he's the no. 1 option, but he was recently hired by Arizona)
Frank Maile: A Gary Andersen protege, was interim USU coach and the players fought to keep him. He ended up at Boise State.

Second tier--
Luther Elliss: Idaho defensive line coach for the last five years. I just get a feeling that Luther might always be the greatest player to ever play at Utah and never a coach (at least for the near future)
Legi Suiaunoa: Has been at Oregon State since 2018 and his defensive line was impressive in 2021

Intrigue, but not as likely--
-Steve Fifita: The former Ute coached at Idaho State for seven years and the last two he's been the defensive line coach at Mater Dei. This would also create an intriguing pipeline. It sounds though that Fifita might not really want to coach much longer.
-Haloti Ngata: A former NFL star, Oregon Duck, and Utah native, Ngata is tight with the Utah staff. This is unlikely, but you make the call. He's been retired for three years, so there's alwasy the possiblity now that he's itching to get back to football.

I'll possibly have more in the article, but as I said, this one is extremely unique.

Discuss...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News