ADVERTISEMENT

A note about injuries

medute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2012
I have seen quite a few posts where people are coming down hard on the coaching staff for how they handled a possible injury to a prominent player. I know nothing about this player's injury. Given his timetable, it could be anything from a sports hernia to a labral issue to nerve entrapment to a tendon injury to something else. So it's impossible to make any kind of statement on his health going forward.

But I will tell you what I do know. I have been working with universities or high schools in sports medicine for over a dozen years. I rotated with the U of U sports medicine staff as a medical student in 2004/2005. I got to work with Dr. Petron and Dr. Greis and I saw many football players and other athletes with them in their offices. Those guys know what they are doing. They are experienced, competent, and they have a reputation for taking care of their players. I have never heard of a player who left Utah and trashed the medical staff. I cannot recall an instance where they grossly mismanaged an injury.

Also, these guys are experienced. They don’t listen to coaches about when to do surgery or when not to. They make the call. They take into account the best interests of the player and the team and then discuss the issue with the player and his family. The coaches do not make these decisions. Anyone bashing or second-guessing Whit or the coaching staff doesn’t understand the dynamics of our medical staff. This isn’t Bud Kilmore from Varsity Blues ordering the medical staff to give a knee injection.

Let me give you a hypothetical of what may have happened. Let’s pretend this player sustained a minor injury in the Spring. Based on what typically happens with this type of injury, a player will usually recover with rest and rehab. The staff gave him that opportunity and he improved with rest. When Fall camp begins, suddenly the injury pops back up again when the player is going 100%. They are left with the decision of giving it another period of rest/rehab or performing surgery and getting him back a few games into the season. They opt for surgery. You see, it isn’t always cut and dry. And I am glad our medical staff doesn’t jump to surgery at the earliest sign of an injury, especially when that player has a NFL career in front of him.

I don’t know the details behind this possible injury, but based on my personal history with this staff and what I have seen as a fan over the last couple decades, I believe they have earned the benefit of the doubt in terms of making the best decisions possible for our athletes.

Edit: I also forgot to mention another possibility. It is quite possible that the medical staff recommended surgery to the athlete, but he decided he didn't want it. Only after the injury became worse or re-aggravated did he change his mind. Just another possibility that reminds us to not shred the medical staff or the coaching staff without the details.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News