ADVERTISEMENT

A kinder, gentler rivalry?

Skullduggery

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
IMO, it ain't happening. The coaches may truly love each other but it's a pipe dream to think that this civility is going to expand to the fans. History is very clear on this point.

I think this because, as sure as the sun rises after a BYU loss to Utah, the BYU fans start the moral indignation stories. Look at Cougarboard this morning.

Disdain for Utah cemented at rice eccles tonight:

What a bunch of lowlifes that lived up to the stereotype in every way.

Then an LDS Utah fan tried to strike a friendly, optimistic tone. How did that go?

Props to Whit and Sitake during post game

A BYU fan complains that he (Utah) never shuts down the guy dressing like Jesus to which he responded, "What can we do," and then somebody calls him "a spineless coward."

I understand typical fan stuff like complaining about the refs and saying the winning team got lucky. Almost every fan whose team suffers a loss plays that card but is there another group of fans who gets called morally inferior after every game, even the losses? The "Holy War" is the perfect name because there is an element of religion to this game that is unique in college football. And just like wars throughout history with religious foundations, they are almost impossible to diffuse. Each side will argue that the other started it and each side says the other side has to change first. Yeah, it ain't happening. That is why I don't think this game should be played. All it does is stir animosity in the community. This is not a fun-filled rivalry where the worst thing that happens is some landmark gets painted. This is a giant vat of hate bacteria that is cultivated and then spilled in the community. It is a public health hazard. It is time this game goes away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News