ADVERTISEMENT

WR Recruiting Question

Pink Triangle

All-American Poster
Aug 8, 2010
I have a question about recruiting Wide Receivers. When the coaches are making their big board and trying to decide how many receivers to take, do they separate small/fast slot receivers from big possession type receivers, or do they just have a fixed number of WRs that they are going to take and they just give scholarships to the best available?

Last year, we got 2 smaller slot types in Tarzan and Covey (I believe Covey will play this year but then may go on a mission), and 1 big guy in George Wilson (6'3"). As the coaches evaluate their needs this coming year, do they have a certain number of slots reserved for big receivers and small receivers or do they just know they will take 2-3 kids overall? So far we have Griffin who qualifies more as a slot (listed at 5'11" but may be smaller) and Davir who is a big kid at 6'2", but may not play WR. I think one of the biggest challenges so far in our receiving core overall is that we've had some big guys, (Scott and Patrick), and some fast guys like Delshawn and Jereme Brooks, but not enough big fast guys, (I guess that is what everyone in college football is looking for).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News