ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Thomas Decommits - What it Means

D. Sorensen

All-American Poster
Jul 21, 2005
So Taylor Thomas decided to flip his commitment to Oregon State during an in-home visit with Gary Andersen this afternoon. Here are a few thoughts about what it means for the class:

- We talked a little in the War Room yesterday about how this was a distinct possibility. Thomas' connection with Utah was more with Sione Kinikini and Kalani Sitake than anyone else on the staff, and the fact that he visited campus yesterday and Gary followed him home on the plane to seal the deal certainly helped their efforts. I'm a little surprised that he didn't take a visit to Utah before switching, but he didn't.

- Thomas is a very nice player, but I'm not sure he was ever going to be a guy that could be the feature back at Utah. He's only 5'7" and it's probably going to take him a couple of years to develop the body to withstand the pounding that he'll take in the Pac-12. He has the chance to be very good, but one of the big knocks on his game from coaches in the region is that he was a "system guy" in that high powered Ed White offense. I'm sure he's eager to shake that label, but he won't be doing it at Utah.

- Utah still plans on taking two backs in the class. Marcel Brooks-Brown is solid in his commitment, and he does fit the mold of a guy that can be an every-down type back. I also mentioned that Utah was recruiting another back that will be a terrific addition. I can't name him by name until he comes on his visit (which is expected to happen on the 30th) but this is a kid that could be elite. Think a faster version of Devontae kind of elite. I'm positive he'll be a Ute before long.

- I think this all but ensures that Chris Barr will decommit. But I thought he was going to decommit regardless of what Thomas did anyway. He hasn't yet, and Utah will try to hold on to him, but I personally think he's going to stay closer to home. That said, I've heard rumblings about something expected to happen later this week that make it a lot easier for Ute fans to take a potential Chris Barr decommitment. We'll see if they come to fruition.

I know it's not fun when kids change their mind. But it's recruiting, man. That's what kids do. Taylor is a nice kid and I like him. But his decommitment isn't going to derail the class. It's not the most ideal thing ever, but not a disaster.

This post was edited on 1/19 6:00 PM by AMarkham

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News