ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line recruiting

displacedute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Vegas
So I know several people in another thread were worried about OL recruiting because right now we have 0 class of 2018 guys committed (both Lotulelei and Kump are sign and sends, so they'll be class of 2020 guys) so I thought I'd take a look and see what we've got:

Here's what will be on the roster in 2018 (walkons marked as W, returning missionaries as RM):

Seniors: Agasiva, Amaama (W), Barton, Havili-Katoa, Falemka (maybe)
Juniors: Bartholomew (W), Capra, Dixon, Heller (W), Lanterman (W), Paulo, Toala
Sophomores: Grant, Scott, Umana, Wagner (W)
RS Freshmen: Ford, Mann (W), Unutoa
TR Freshmen: Maea (RM)

Here are the guys who could be moved to OL in a pinch (not that we'll have one in 2018, but we're worried about down the road). This is just based on height and weight (current position in parenthesis, along with W for walkons):

Seniors: None
Juniors: None
Sophomores: Hekking (TE), Leakehe (DE, W), Kruger (DT, W), Pututau (DE), Tonga (DT), Tupai (DE/DT), Falemka (TE), Heniger (DE, W)
RS Freshmen: Foley (DL, W)
TR Freshmen: Fotu (TE), Fotheringham (TE), Bills (DL)

Of that group I fully expect Tupai to be moved to OL and probably Falemka too, because he's athletic and has the frame to put on weight, and we don't seem to need TEs anymore. Same goes for Fotheringham, but he was only like 220 when he left on his mission, so I don't know if he's got the frame to bulk up to OL. If so he'd be a great OT, super athletic and good wingspan. I also think Kruger gets moved to OL because he's not likely to crack the rotation at DT and he's a big boy.

So if we sign no further recruits, our 2020 OL looks like this (in displacedute's opinion):

Seniors: Grant, Scott, Umana, Tupai, Falemka, Toala plus Kruger (W), Bartholomew (W), Heller (W), Lanterman (W)
Juniors: Ford, Unutoa plus Mann (W) and Foley (W)
Sophomores: Maea plus maybe Fotu, Fotheringham, and Bills
Freshmen: Lotulelei, Kump

That's 10 scholarship OL plus whoever we recruit for 2019 and 2020. 2 a year makes 14, which is about where Utah ends up most years (we'll be at 13-15 next year). Now maybe we want a couple more for depth, but one year of 4 OL recruits and we're at 16.

That's not to mention that Utah is still in it for a ton of guys for next year's class that are either already listed as OL or could play OL at Utah with a little work. Here's the list of uncommitted prospects who Utah has a realistic chance of signing:

Blake McDonald (previously committed to UCLA but decommitted in November)
Doug Johnson (I think we were his first p5 offer, doesn't talk to media)
Max Barth
Penei Sewell
Ben Makoni (we're his only offer, so I'm not sure what his deal is)
Chris Murray (4* OG, Utah's in his top 3)

Plus there are always some late guys who pop up (there's one the mods have mentioned who's committed elsewhere but could come to Utah, but I can't remember his name)

So we're fine. Step back from the edge.

TL;DR- Utah has lots of OL in the program or coming in. We don't need 5 OL committed in this class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News