ADVERTISEMENT

My Q&A for the USC site...

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
Much has been made from the USC side of this matchup about not being able to scout fresh film on Utah ahead of this pivotal Pac-12 clash Saturday night in Salt Lake City, as the Utes had their first two games cancelled/postponed due to COVID-19.

But TrojanSports.com has tracked down its own scouting report, getting UteNation.com's Alex Markham to offer his insight from the other side of the matchup.

Kyle Whittingham hasn't announced a starting quarterback. There seemed to be buzz for South Carolina transfer Jake Bentley. What is your expectation and what have the reports been this preseason about that position?
Markham:
"The buzz is actually the complete opposite. All indications are that it’s sophomore phenom Cam Rising. I would say it was Bentley’s job right until the first scrimmage and by all reports — the media wasn’t allowed to watch — Rising turned the competition on its head from that point on.

While I like Bentley, Rising is ready. He’s more dynamic and the guys really rally around him."

How different do you expect Utah's offense to be without the familiar duo of Tyler Huntley and Zack Moss leading the way?
"Look for them to rely more on the passing game, but they have a solid stable of running backs led by Devin Brumfield. It’ll be a 'by committee' approach between 3-4 backs, but he’s the more seasoned of the group and comparable to Moss’ style. Jordan Wilmore and Micah Bernard both have intriguing potential, but true freshman Ty Jordan, brings an explosive home-run hitter that they didn’t really have in 2019.

"At receiver, there is loads of potential, but the group as a whole still has a lot to prove. Britain Covey is back to his shifty and elusive self. Bryan Thompson is an NFL talent, if healthy, who is a big-bodied fast receiver.

"Look for the Utes to involve the tight ends as much as possible, as Brant Kuithe and Cole Fotheringham are two of the best in the Pac-12. They also added San Diego transfer, Dalton Kincaid, who is an elite pass-catcher, but not as effective as a blocker."

"As for the quarterback position, if it is indeed Rising as I expect, his skill set is very similar to Huntley’s."

How much of the Utah roster do you expect to be available Saturday night, and what is your expectation for how the setbacks the last two weeks will impact the Utes in this matchup?
"It’s been long enough that most will be available. I’m concerned with how many had to sit out at least a week due to the contact tracing and then those who actually had the virus. Plenty of those that were sitting out were at crucial positions where depth and experience were already issues."

There's always an expectation that Utah will be physical and stout up front defensively. Despite the personnel losses from last year, what is your read on the Utes defense and who will be the catalysts this year?
"The stars of the defense are defensive end Mika Tafua and linebacker Devin Lloyd. The defensive line, as you mentioned, will still be what Whittingham defensive lines seem to always have been: physical and stout. They’re loaded up the middle, led by Viane Moala, who is a near clone of now-Arizona Cardinals, Leki Fotu.
"The defensive ends are deep including talented freshman additions, Van Fillinger and Xavier Carlton. The linebackers are lucky have Lloyd, who is well on his way to playing on Sundays. It’s their other starting spot that’s a huge question mark.
"The secondary will be young, with two true freshmen — both four-star recruits — and two sophomores starting along with an inexperienced senior. Slovis will be wise to test them early, but this group has a lot of intriguing potential."

Finally, what's your prediction for Saturday and why?
"Man, if Utah would have a game under they belt, I would take Utah in a close one at home. It’s obvious that something is up with Slovis and I expect the Utes to dial up pressure against him with varying levels of success. I just think that he can take advantage of the inexperienced secondary with it being their first game. I get the sense that it’ll be a shoot out—Utah’s offense is that talented—but I can’t in good conscience pick the Utes, knowing everything they’ve been up against, recently.

"USC 38 Utah 31"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News